According to studies, back pain is one of the leading cause of decreased work productivity among adults below 45 years old. Some surveys even revealed that about 65 million Americans openly admit that they had experienced back pains at one point in their life. Because of this growing crisis, it’s not a wonder that people are seeking for the best king size mattress for back pain, hoping that this can help relieve the problem.
Nothing can be far from this truth. An excellent and well-built mattress can ease back pains and provide body support while you are sleeping. It leads to an undisturbed, relaxing sleep which contributes to a refreshing wake-up in the morning.
Laying Down the Foundation: What to Ask When Buying a Mattress for Back Pain
But before you rush at the nearest retail store or to Google to buy the best king size mattress for back pain, you must first answer these questions:
What’s your budget?
A king size bed in itself is already expensive in itself, more so if it has to cater to a specific need, such as relieving back pain. For ordinary mattresses, a king size bed can cost from $800 to $4,000 depending on the brand.
If you have been following us for so long, you know that highly recommend mattress customers to be as generous as you possibly can when looking for a mattress for back pain. A good mattress is a worthy investment. After all, you will be spending a third of your life on it. What’s more, you would not need to replace them for at least eight to ten years.
That does not mean that you should blindly invest in luxury brands. Some cheaper models (such as the Nectar mattress) can offer the same benefits, if not more, of back pain relief at about half the price. The best king size mattress for back pain does not always equate to the most expensive one in the bunch.
The bottom line is, you have to look for a mattress for back pain that would give you the body support you are aiming for and the right value for your money at the same time.
What is your weight range?
Weight plays a significant role in choosing the best mattress for back pain. It is the primary basis of how firm the mattress you are going to get should be.
For example, those who weigh around 130 pounds or less may benefit more on getting a softer mattress－about 5.5 in the “firmness” scale or lower－so that their lower back can be supported without sacrificing comfort.
On the other hand, sleepers who weigh 230 pounds or more should get a mattress that has a firmness level of 6 or higher. Getting a soft mattress for heavyweight sleepers may do more harm than good, since they may end up “sinking” on it.
Still, these recommendations are just estimates. The perception towards firmness may vary from one person to another. But for people who are looking for the best king size mattress for back pain, following these guidelines that are proven and tested by mattress experts is an excellent place to start. Feel free to explore and deviate from them until you find the right firmness that works for you.
What sleeping position do you prefer the most?
There are three kinds of sleepers.
- Sleeping on your side gives your lungs its much-needed leverage to inhale and exhale air. It also removes the pressure in your heart, which makes it a good position for those who suffer from heartburns come bedtime. Side sleepers experience the most stress at the shoulders and hips. If you are one and you are looking at the best king size mattress for back pain, pay attention to how the mattress hugs these areas.
- Stomach sleepers are the quietest bedmates because the position prevents snoring and sleep apnea problems. Unfortunately, it does cause unnecessary pressure on the squished organs, making it the least recommended sleeping position to adopt. For those who sleep on their stomachs, look for a mattress for back pain that is firm enough to hold your body up. Avoid over-sinking mattresses.
- Back sleeping may prevent acid reflux and facial wrinkles from wreaking havoc. But, it cannot block snores due to the disruption in airflow. For back sleepers, your choice of best king size mattress for back pain must have the perfect balance of softness and firmness. Your whole back must be fully pressed on the bed, leaving no gaps in between especially at the lower end.
By determining your favorite sleeping position, you can further help yourself in looking for the best mattress for back pain.
Do you have a bedmate?
Whether your bedmate is a human or a pet, you must also consider his or her preference when it comes to the best king size mattress for back pain. As previously mentioned, firmness may vary from one person to another. So unless your partner in bed is a pooch, you should bring in him or her to the decision-making process.
Luckily, some manufacturers offer king size mattresses where you can customize the firmness level on each side.
Leveling the Playing Field: Criteria for Judging the “Best King Size Mattress for Back Pain” Award
Finding the best king size mattress for back pain can be stressful and overwhelming since there are tons of options available out there. To narrow down your choices, here are some things that you need to look for in a mattress for back pain:
In choosing the best king size mattress for back pain, the most likely type to go to would be the memory foam mattress. It is the best one that can offer body support and body contouring.
However, the bad side of the memory foam mattress is that they tend to trap heat, which can be uncomfortable during the summer. That is why in choosing a foam mattress for back pain, look for one that is made up of breathable, cooling materials.
Of course, the materials used should be durable and of high quality. The spring coils in hybrid and innerspring mattresses should not be rusty, noisy, or squeaky when you bounce on them.
Thickness and Firmness
As previously mentioned, your preferred sleeping position and your body weight play a role in choosing the best king size mattress for back pain. This is because they determine the level of firmness that is enough to support your sleeping habits.
How it can Handle Weight
Cheap mattresses that tend to ignore this criterion can easily deteriorate over time (especially if the sleeper is a bit on the heavier side). Regardless of the numbers popping up on your scale, your mattress must be able to support your body well and hold on to its original shape even after constant pressure.
Flexibility in Accommodating Sleeping Positions
Some mattresses for back pain are specially made only for a specific sleeping position, while others can accommodate all three. You might have to consider this as well since you would not want to sleep on a mattress that could further aggravate the pain you are already going through.
The Coronation: Which is the Best King Size Mattress for Back Pain?
Now that we have settled the criteria, here are the candidates for the best king size mattress for back pain.
|Criteria||Brooklyn Bedding Signature Mattress||Amerisleep AS2 Mattress||Nectar Mattress|
|Thickness and Firmness|
|How it Can Handle Weight|
|Flexibility in Accommodating Sleeping Positions|
Brooklyn Bedding Signature Mattress
Brooklyn Bedding has gone a long way from being the “mobile mattress guys” to eventually becoming the frontrunners in the mattress manufacturing business. Because of their delivery background, this company is the one who pioneered the bed-in-a-box online delivery service that is being adopted by the whole industry.
The Brooklyn Bedding Signature mattress is a 10-inch hybrid that is made up of three primary layers:
- 2 inches of TitanFlex™Comfort foam
- 2 inches of TitanFlex™ Support foam
- 6 inches of Ascension pocketed coils
The whole mattress is covered by their infamous soft cotton cover which offers durability and cooling effect while sleeping.
Brooklyn Bedding is highly known for their TitanFlex™ foams that they patented. The material is highly elastic and super responsive to pressure and movement. This means that it can easily contour to the shape of your body and consequently, your back.
Despite its hyper-responsive feature, the Brooklyn Bedding Signature mattress also has superior motion isolation. This makes it a fantastic option for those who share the bed with someone else.
- Brooklyn Bedding gives a 120-day trial period for clients who want to try it out first before making a purchase.
- This specific model has a warranty of ten years.
- The company also offers free shipping within the continental US.
Price: The king size version costs around $1,149.
- It is suitable for all types of sleeping positions. Even those who do not have a settled sleeping position in mind can consider this as the best king size bed for back pain (although side sleepers are really the target market of this model).
- This mattress holds its shape well on all sides. Whether you are into sleeping on the edge or in the middle, the Brooklyn Bedding Signature mattress can still support your spine.
- The TitanFlex™ foam they manufacture themselves can help relieve mobility issues and support heavyweight sleepers.
- It has a limit weight of 450 pounds. Anything heavier than that can result in early sagging and deterioration.
- Their other trademark material, the TitaniumGel™ is there to provide air circulation and cooling effect. Unfortunately, some customers still find it slow and inefficient in keeping the mattress cool during humid seasons.
Amerisleep AS2 mattresses
The AS2 version of the Amerisleep mattress series is specially made for back and stomach sleepers, making it a bit on a firmer side. This memory foam mattress for back pain is 12 inches in height, covered by a fabric made of celliant.
Some research showed that celliant has various health benefits, such as improving the blood’s quality and movement across the bloodstream. Because of this benefit, the Amerisleep AS2 mattress is definitely the best king size mattress for back pain AND blood flow problems.
Aside from the health-related pros, celliant also reverses the “trapping heat” quality, a characteristic commonly associated with memory foam mattresses. This bed cover is soft and cool to the touch, so you don’t need to worry about the sweltering heat while sleeping.
This mattress for back pain has three layers:
- 2 inches of memory foam
- 3 inches of poly foam
- 7 inches of high-density poly foam as base
As previously mentioned, memory foam mattresses such as this one are the best option for those who are looking for the best king size mattress for back pain. Foam is the most useful material when it comes to body contouring and support during slumber.
The memory foam used to create the Amerisleep AS2 mattress is made up of open cell structures that aid in air circulation. This feature, when partnered with the celliant bed cover, can keep your bed cool enough for sleeping.
- Amerisleep offers a 100-day trial period for their customers.
- This particular model has a warranty of 20 years.
- Shipping fee is free.
Price: Expect to pay about $1,599 for a king size version of this mattress.
- This mattress, as mentioned earlier, caters explicitly to stomach and back sleepers. The foam is firm enough to keep your hips afloat while supporting the back.
- Amerisleep AS2 mattress has superior motion isolation and edge support that makes it a good choice for couples who are light sleepers and who love to have fun in bed.
- Possibly the best option for those who want a memory foam mattress for back pain that can be kept cool through the night.
- Despite being a good option for couples, the Amerisleep AS2 mattress is not bouncy enough for raunchy sexual activity.
- Side sleepers may find this model a bit too firm for their taste. If you are one and you still like to have an Amerisleep mattress, you can look for the AS3 version (which we reviewed here) or the AS4 and AS5.
We already reviewed this model in this article. But since we are here to help you find the best king size mattress for back pain－and, to be honest, this mattress is really worth your every penny－we would still add it to this list.
The Nectar memory foam mattress is the epitome of cheap yet high-quality mattress that is available in the market today. It is made up of four layers:
- 1 inch of gel quilting foam
- 3 inches of gel memory foam
- 5 inch of adaptive hi-core foam
- 5 inches of dense poly foam as the base
Tencel, a special breathable fabric material that is resistant to bedbugs, is what makes up the body cover. The gel memory foams at the top of the mattress give out a cooling effect (a common dilemma in memory foam mattresses) while still being able to provide tremendous back support.
- Nectar is the ONLY company that offers a 365-day trial period in all of its mattresses.
- Aside from the generous trial period, Nectar is the only one who offers a “forever” warranty. They are even willing to replace the mattress once it sags to about 1.5 inches－free of charge!
- Shipping fee is free as well if you live in the US.
Price: The king version of the Nectar mattress retails at only $924. So far, this is the cheapest out of all mattresses for back pain available out there. You can even get a discount by as much as $125 if you get it through an affiliate.
- The warranty, trial period, and the benefits, when compared to the price, proves that this particular model is not just the best king size mattress for back pain. It is also the best mattress for your wallet.
- The Nectar mattress can provide back support for all kinds of sleepers. Whether you are a stomach, back, or side, this is a good mattress for back pain.
- The memory foam is firm enough to prop you up yet soft enough to support your spine regardless of your sleeping position. Unfortunately for stomach sleepers, you might have to get a firmer version of this model.
- Because it is made up of dense foam, off-gassing can be a problem for a few days. You might need to endure the factory smell for a while.
- Also, because of its density, it is not bouncy or responsive enough, which makes it a not-so-good choice for couples who want to maximize their sexual activities.
- Some customers complain about the slow delivery process of the company.
Special Mention: Natural Form Mattress
This brand may not be as famous as the three previous mattress manufacturing companies mentioned earlier. However, Natural Form deserves special recognition and space in this article because of their reputation as the number 1 provider of the best king size mattress for back pain.
What makes them different from the rest? Natural Form customizes their mattresses depending on the specific back problems you have. They are in the industry for about 25 years now, so they have surely encountered clients of varying heights, sizes, and medical conditions. They have clients that suffered from herniated discs, osteoarthritis, and spinal stenosis, among others.
Natural Form is the go-to mattress provider of well-recognized clinics all over the world. Their clientele includes Mayo Clinic, Albert Einstein hospital in Brazil, and Lenox Hill Hospital in New York, to name a few.
What’s their secret? The company has developed and patented a system called the Self Adjusting Technology. It uses air pods, memory foam, and Merino wool, all of which offers body support without relying on coils or foams. This results to a highly personalized mattress for back pain that can freely conform on any spinal condition.
Another service that they pride in is their customer support. Most of their clients claimed that Natural Form is insistent on ensuring that you got the right mattress for back pain－Yes, even after you already paid the initial deposit. It shows how much they care about their customers.
These benefits, however, come at a high price. A Natural Form mattress can cost around $2,800 to as much as $3,400 apiece. This includes a 100 day- trial period (with a full refund if you’re not satisfied), ten years of warranty, and free shipping costs.
One mistake that customers make when choosing the best king size mattress for back pain is the fact that the pillow is not part of the decision-making process. Remember that the pillow can contribute just as much spine support－or back pain－as the mattress in itself.
Once you finally have a list of potential models you want to try, look for a suitable pillow that can accompany the new mattress for back pain. And just like in picking the right bed, research on what could be the best choice for you.