- Any questions?
- The Best-Rated Mattress for Great Sleep
- Leesa Mattress
- Nectar Mattress
- Final Tip
Nobody can further emphasize the importance of getting a high-quality mattress. Numerous studies showed that having a bed that doesn’t accommodate your sleeping habits is a recipe for sleep disaster. This can lead to tired, uncomfortable sleep and a cranky, unproductive morning. That’s why it is essential that you buy only the best-rated mattress for great sleep.
But before you grab onto the nearest and cheapest mattress you can find, there are a lot of questions that you need to answer first. You don’t want to end up with a bed that could further aggravate your sleep deprivation and waste your money in the process. A good quality mattress does not come cheap, after all.
With this, here are some questions that you need to honestly think about before searching for the best-rated mattress for great sleep out there.
What is the condition of your current mattress?
Is your current mattress have sagging middle and edges from bearing too much of your weight for years? Does it squeak and squeal whenever you make a slight movement? Does the original shape return in eight to ten seconds after punching a part of the bed? Finally, has it been with you for the last eight years or so?
If you answered Yes to all of these questions, then it’s probably time to give your top rated mattress its needed retirement. We know that replacing it is expensive. But, the medical costs that can accumulate after incurring sleep debt and sacrificing work productivity is undoubtedly more pricey than doing so.
What type of mattress do you want?
There are four (sometimes five) primary types of mattresses available in the market today. Some manufacturers specialize in providing the best-rated mattress for great sleep in one category, while others cater to any mattress needs.
- Innerspring mattress: made primarily of support coils (commonly made of steel) in different lengths and sizes. They are the most common type in the market today because of its long-lasting quality and strong edge support.
- Memory foam mattress: made up of pure foam that can give you that sinking “hug” feel once you lay down on them. The downside is that it can trap heat more easily.
- Hybrid mattress: made of a combination of support coils and memory foam (usually at the top portion). It is bouncy enough for any intimate activity and soft enough to support your back and joints while sleeping.
- Airbeds: made of rubber and vinyl (or PVC) as the outer layer. The shape and firmness are formed depending on how diligent you are in pumping air inside each one.
Each type has its share of pros and cons, both of which can be seen in this previous article. Yes, it’s for couples, but hey, it applies for solo riders, too. And as previously mentioned, there is a manufacturer suitable in giving the best-rated mattress for sleep in each type.
How soft or firm do you want it to be?
The terms “comfortable,” “soft,” and “firm” may vary from one person to another. What may be too soft for you can already be too hard for another person.
That is why it is healthy to be skeptical about online reviews, both in blog form or in video format.
As much as you can, please take advantage of trial periods that some top rated mattress manufacturers offer their potential clients. Some of them allow customers to try out their models for about 30 to 365 days along with a full refund of your deposit if you weren’t satisfied.
You’re probably asking: are the mattresses that are being tried out in showrooms accurately depict the perfect feel and firmness that I want? Not really. Remember that you are not the only person who tried out the mattresses in there. This means that they deteriorate in quality and eventually sag because of the constant pressure.
Again, if you want to assess if the best-rated mattress for great sleep is indeed the real deal, make use of the manufacturer’s trial period offers.
Are you going to share it with someone?
If not, then you may happily skip to the fifth question. But if your answer is Yes, then you have to consider what your bedmate thinks about buying a new mattress (even if it’s a pet).
Sharing a bed with someone means that there is more weight distributed on all sides of the mattress, which can contribute to faster sagging and deterioration over time. Thus, getting a top rated mattress that can surely support the constant pressure of two people plus the occasional dog or rowdy kids is a must for parents.
The size is also essential to consider if you have a spouse who shares the bed with you. Two grown adults who are motion-heavy during sleeping times may not be able to get a good night’s sleep on a single bed no matter how romantic the thought may be. Some of the best-rated mattress for great sleep are offered at varying sizes.
Is it better to buy at a retail store or online?
There are advantages and disadvantages on both options. Shopping at a retail store gives you a firsthand impression on the model that you like. A salesperson may also be there to help you find the best-rated mattress for great sleep in your case－if you are patient enough to listen, that is.
The downside of retail store shopping is the abundance of choices inside the establishment. Most often, customers who get an overwhelming amount of options in front of them tend to make a crappy spending decision. It’s exhausting to go through tens and hundreds of models with tired feet and with children or groceries in tow, after all.
Doing the shopping online, however, removes you from that kind of agony. Thanks to technology, you can finally browse the catalogs of different mattress manufacturers right at your fingertips. The growing e-commerce industry continually improves their service by providing as much information and convenience to their consumers.
The only con of shopping online, however, is the fact that you won’t be able to assess the quality of the material thoroughly or how it fits your needs just by looking at the photo in the ad. That is why most manufacturers are generous with their trial periods.
Still, whether you buy online or in-store, a manufacturer must be able to provide the best-rated mattress for great sleep regardless of where it was bought.
Do you have any pre-existing medical condition that could affect the way you sleep?
Aside from sleep quality, an excellent (or bad) mattress can also influence your posture, body contour, and bone and joint condition. Without proper support, your preexisting condition can worsen over time.
Sleeping uncomfortably is dangerous if you are pregnant or an elderly who are suffering from osteoporosis and other bone diseases. Your mattress must be able to support your muscles enough to give you a comfortable sleep.
The Best-Rated Mattress for Great Sleep
Now that you have all the previous questions answered, it is now time to hunt down the three top-rated mattresses that are in the market today.
Note: to further help you decide on what would be the best-rated mattress for great sleep in your household, we will use the criteria outlined in this article.
Amerisleep AS3 Memory Foam Mattress – Queen (Medium – Most Popular) – Bed in a Box | Celliant Cover | Bio-Pur Plant Based Material | Cooler Than Memory Foam | USA
Amerisleep AS3 Mattress
The company Amerisleep specializes in manufacturing memory foam mattresses with varying firmness. They are famous for using environment-friendly and plant-based materials in creating their foams, making them a perfect go-to for vegan consumers. Recent reviews constantly put this model at the top of the best-rated mattress for great sleep.
Their current flagship mattress, Amerisleep AS3 (formerly called Amerisleep Liberty) has a medium firmness that is fit for any sleepers (back, side, stomach, or all of the above). It is made of 3 layers:
- 3 inches of memory foam
- 2 inches of poly foam
- 7 inches of high-density poly foam as the base
The most common disadvantage of memory foam mattresses (regardless if it’s the best-rated mattress for better sleep) is the fact that they can easily trap heat. This can be a problem for couples who love to snuggle despite the hot weather or individuals who feel restless sleeping hot.
Luckily, the memory foam in AS3 consists of an open cell structure that allows dissipation of heat and give a cooling effect. The poly foam under it further helps in the latter thanks to its egg crate structure that encourages air ventilation between the foams. The poly foam also gives that “innerspring bounce” effect that couples love when having sex.
The memory foam on top also provides impressive body contour and support, making it a top rated mattress for people who suffer from back pain. It truly is the best-rated mattress for great sleep.
- Offers a 100-day trial period for potential clients with a full refund if you’re not satisfied
- Has 20 years warranty
- Free shipping across the continental US
Price: can go from $1,099 to $2,098 depending on the size.
Perfect for: Sleepers (including couples) who have various sleeping positions while sleeping, adults and older people who suffer from muscle pain
- Despite other memory foam mattresses, the AS3 does not trap as much heat during sleeping.
- It is one of the only few mattresses that are responsive enough (good for sex) and firm enough to absorb movement. This means that no matter how much your bedmate toss and turn in bed, you won’t be disturbed.
- It provides pressure relief, making it a suitable choice for people of all ages and lifestyles.
- It only offers one firmness level. If you like to have a firmer mattress, check out Amerisleep AS4 and AS5 instead. They have almost the same features but with different firmness levels.
- Transferring it from one place to another can be difficult because it has no side handles for easy lifting and transporting.
- Some visitors of their website where they sell the product find it confusing and difficult to navigate. You might have to be extra patient if you seriously want this mattress.
The company “Leesa” is the sister company of Sapira, another mattress manufacturing company. The only difference is that the former takes the Leesa memory foam mattresses one step further by providing edge support that innerspring mattresses offer. It’s not a wonder that they are the best-rated mattress for great sleep because of this.
The Leesa mattress is made up of five layers, totaling up to 11 inches in height.
- 5 inches of Aveena foam
- 5 inches of memory foam
- 1 inch of high-density polyfoam
- 6 inches of support coils as the base
- 1 inch of high-density polyfoam to support the coils
In case you haven’t figured it out already, the Leesa mattress is a hybrid mattress. This means that it offers the same body contour that memory foam mattresses are known for while giving the high responsiveness that couples want.
You do not need to be worried about the heat trapping in the top layer foams. The Aveena foam is made up of holes that encourages maximum airflow in between which makes it cool enough to sleep on comfortably.
The support coils, on the other hand, are individually wrapped and placed underneath the high-density poly foam. This means that can move independently and help you easily bounce up from the bed during moments when you badly need to go to work.
- Offers a 100-day trial period for customers
- Has ten years warranty.
- Free shipping across the US
- Fun fact: for every ten mattresses they sell, they donate one mattress to the less fortunate; one sold mattress equates to one tree planted with the help of Arbor Day Foundation
Price: can go from $995 (for Twin size) to $1,795 (for California King size)
Perfect for: couples who are unruly in bed, sleepers who want to try a hybrid mattress, and those who love sleeping on their backs and stomachs
- It has superior motion isolation, so you can sleep soundly no matter how often your partner toss and turn on the bed.
- It is soft enough to provide body support during sleeping but firm enough to hold you up. You barely sink deep while lying down on this mattress.
- It is the best-rated mattress for a great sleep for individuals and couples who are on the heavier side. The Leesa mattress can hold on to any weight even in continuous use.
- The Leesa mattress tends to be on the firmer side (7.5-10) so side sleepers may have trouble getting comfortable with it.
- As with any innerspring mattresses, the coils may become squeaky and noisy over time, making it a turn-off during sexual activity.
- The Leesa mattress is one of the top-rated mattresses that is a bit on the pricey side because they only use high-quality materials and can last for a long time. If you’re on a budget, you might have to skip this one.
The Nectar mattress may be the most popular and the best-rated mattress for great sleep among individuals who are on a tight budget. Yes, you can buy a bed that is cheap yet still offers the same benefits as that of the luxury brands.
This top rated mattress is a memory foam mattress that has four layers:
- 1 inch of gel quilting foam
- 3 inches of gel memory foam
- 5 inch of adaptive hi-core foam
- 5 inches of dense poly foam as the base
What is the advantage of the gel memory foam, you ask? For one, it solves the temperature problem that memory foam mattresses are famous for. It offers more air circulation than the average porous memory foam. Add the fact that the cover is made up of tencel, an eco-friendly and highly breathable fabric material, and you are sure to sleep coolly and soundly at night.
Fun fact: the tencel is also excellent protection against bedbugs.
On the other hand, the memory foam underneath the gel memory foam handles the body support feature. It helps in distributing the weight equally and providing pressure relief in your back and joints, no matter what your sleeping position is. Side sleepers may be exceptionally happy with this top rated mattress.
- Offers up to 365 days of trial period. If you’re not satisfied with it, they will shoulder the return shipping fee.
- Has forever warranty. They are so confident that their product is the best-rated mattress for great sleep that they even offer replacements for mattresses that develop 1.5-inch deep impressions over time.
- Free shipping within the continental US.
- Also provides help in disposing of your old mattress after getting a new one from them.
- If you want your tencel cover replaced, they can replace it for you free of charge.
Price: The cheapest Twin size starts at $409 while the California King version is at most $930. As I said, it’s pretty cheap for a top-rated mattress that offers substantial trial periods and warranties.
Perfect for: side sleepers, individuals who have unruly sleep partners, people who suffer from chronic back and neck pain after staying in one position for so long, heavyweight individuals
- It offers superior motion isolation which is an essential consideration for couples.
- It is definitely cheaper than others, yet still able to provide features that luxury brands offer, if not more.
- Nectar provides a host of additional features that are extremely rare to find in other mattress manufacturing brands.
- Some customers complain about off-gassing at the first few days of using the mattress.
- It offers a bit of a shrinking feeling especially to heavyweight sleepers, which can be uncomfortable for some.
- The edges of the mattress may not be as capable in holding up the tremendous pressure after a long time of continued use.
The best-rated mattress for great sleep does not automatically mean luxury brands. Some cheaper, underrated brands like Nectar may also offer you the same benefits as the pricier brands.
But do remember that price is not the only determining factor when it comes to choosing the best-rated mattress for great sleep. When it comes to buying a mattress, quality is more important. After all, you will be spending a third of your life on the bed, so why not make it a worthy investment?